Saturday, September 13, 2008

Our babies are growing up

Both our babies have reached a turning point in life. Owen is in school and Ava is walking. I really can't believe it, but Owen had his first day of school. I debated about this forever, but finally decided to enroll him in a preschool that is only 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. He seemed so young to be starting preschool to me. He just finished being two. But, he's been really interested in numbers, letters. He loves to color, read. He really loves being around other kids. So, I knew deep down it would be really good for him. It's just hard to see my first baby growing up. Some of the parents here send their 3 year olds to a 4 day preschool, but I thought I'd save that for next year. He goes to a great school that I really like, and I'm picky being an elementary teacher myself. At least I think I was once. That feels like another life ago. Anyway, his first day couldn't have gone better. The teacher said he did great. He was talking about everything they did all day.

Owen being in school is also good because it gives me and Ava some quality time together. A lot of my interaction with Ava is settling disputes between her and Owen when she takes his beloved trains or messes up his row of perfectly lined up dinosaurs. Or, now that she's walking I'm pulling her out of something. All day I feel like it's, "No Ava." "That's Owen's toy Ava." "Give it back Ava." She's really a doll and has a funny personality a lot like Owen does, so I'm really glad she gets to have some time to just play and do what ever with out a big brother to bully her. She really doesn't feel like a baby anymore either. Now that she walks and is starting to talk, she's more like a little toddler. I don't know where time goes.

Owen sitting in his classroom on the first day.

While Owen had his first day Ava and I fed the ducks at a local park. She loved it. She kept saying, "Du, du." It was a lot of fun. We met a friend there who has a boy Ava's age.

8 comments:

Ben and Michelle said...

How cute! I wish I was there to see Ava walk.
Miss you
Michelle

Stephanie T said...

I totally know what you mean about wanting to spend time with the younger one. Rose is doing a joyschool preschool thing this year too, and it's been good to get one on one time with Ginger.

Aubrey Messick said...

This makes me so happy and so sad at the same time. I love seeing your cute kids, but it depresses me that I still have yet to meet them. I wish you guys didn't live so far away. :(

Jessica Reeves said...

I can't believe how grown up your kids look! You guys need to come visit so we can meet them! They are too cute!!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

I can't believe Owen is old enough for preschool!! I bet he is eating it all up. Have fun with sweet Ava.

Stephanie Johnson said...

I can't believe how big Ava is. Time does fly when you have kids don't you think. I sure do miss Sofie and Owen playing hopefully we can get together again in the future.

kp said...

Hurray Karen! I'm so proud of you for starting a blog! I'm so glad you guys are liking Dayton. We miss seeing you in C-bus though.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

I can't believe Owen is in preschool! Olivia just started also. I waited another year for her. I just couldn't do it! I am going to be a total wimp for kindergarten! You guys all look great! We are thinking of going to the museum down there. We should get together.