Friday, September 11, 2009

She has arrived!

On Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2009 our little family of 4 became a family of 5 as Ruth Wallis entered the world. Ryan and I arrived at the hospital at 5:15 am for another scheduled c-section. After blood work, paper work, and some waiting the actual procedure started around 7:15. Finally at 7:51 I heard that priceless first cry from our baby girl, Ruth. This pregnancy has seemed so long to me. Then, in the home stretch we had to say good bye to our friends in Ohio and move across the country to Spokane. Of course, we didn't just go from Dayton to Spokane. We had Ryan's graduation from his residency, a family reunion at Bear Lake, Utah, and a trip to my family in Idaho all came after Dayton and before Spokane. However, we did arrive in Spokane at 37 weeks. I met my new doctor. Ryan started work again. Owen started preschool. We all worked on turbo speed to satisfy my nesting urge and get our house together before the baby came.

Needless to say I was a bit emotional after all we had been through. Ruth arrived and I just kept thinking, "We did it. We did it. I actually made it. She's really out." I still wake up sometimes and have to remind myself I'm not pregnant anymore. What a great feeling! Even better is when I look over and our little babe is sleeping so soundly. Oh, why can't the newborn stage last longer?

I was sure this baby was even bigger than our first two. There was just no more room to grow. Turns out she was the exact same weight that Ava was.
She weighed in at 9 lbs 8 oz. 21 inches long.
My brief first moment to hold her before they take her to get cleaned up and I get sewn up.
She was born with a little 'strawberry kiss' on her forehead from being pressed against bone for so long. The doctor said it will fade away over a little time.
The kids got to come up to see the baby and I every day after they woke up from their nap. Ryan packed them a dinner to eat in the room and we just hung out. Here we are testing the weight capacity of the hospital bed.
Good bye Dayton!
Ryan graduated from his residency program. Then, the kids and I with the help of his parents and my cute sister-in-law, Lexi caught a flight to Salt Lake. Ryan and his brother drove our van and Ryan's car out to Salt Lake. We were proud of the good things everyone had to say about Ryan at the clinic. Good job Hubby!
Ryan and the two directors over his residency program.
This was Ryan's assistant for the year. Good bye Tina.
The beach at Bear Lake was probably Owen's favorite thing about the whole summer.
Ava loved the beach as well.
Owen's first day of preschool. I was very proud of him for being so excited when he knew he wouldn't know anyone there. I love his outgoing personality. Hoping he'll be able to make lots of friends in Spokane.

16 comments:

Aubrey Messick said...

Congratultions on the new baby Karen. She's absolutely beautiful. I hope you and the family are getting all settled into your new home. Miss you!

Sassy said...

Congrats Karen. You made it!! I am sure glad things worked out for you!! Hang in there. The next few months are going to be hard. We will be praying for you!!

XOXO!

Wendy said...

Ruth is a beautiful baby. We are so excited to have a new cousin. You are so amazing Karen. I don't know how you did all that and pregnant. I hope things slow down for you guys and you get to relax a little. I can't wait to meet my new little niece.

Laura said...

Karen, She is beautiful! I am so glad that she's finally arrived. I can't imagine having all those huge life changes and being 9 months pregnant at the same time! I'd be a serious wreck! Now you can just relax and enjoy your new home and your new baby.

brandy said...

Karen!!!!!! You did it!!

You have been on my mind so much lately and now I am kicking myself that I haven't called you sooner. In fact, today we went to the zoo and I told Clint make sure you remind me to call Karen :)

Ruth is BEAUTIFUL! I wish I could hold her. Can you believe you have 3 little monkeys? Your family looks so cute.

Have a speedy recovery and call me when you get home and settled in. Miss you!!

Lori said...

Wow, I was just thinking about how I need to call you now that you have moved and before the baby gets here. Guess I'm a little late on that one! I'll now have to call you before I move! Glad to see you survived all those major changes- I hate change! Love the name, she looks so precious. Spokane is pretty close to AK, so maybe you guys will have to come visit up here some day! If not, we'll definately have to plan on being in Kimberly at the same time one of these days!

Annie said...

What an incredible, crazy month! Ruth is just beautiful. Really, really great pictures, esp. the close-up in pink. I can barely handle how old Owen looks on his way to school. Still miss you. Good luck with all your new changes, I know you'll do great!

David and Kristi Gailey said...

Congratulation! She is beautiful! I only wish we were close enough to help you and see that cute baby. I can't believe everything you did in the last month of your pregnancy. You are awesome, miss you!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

I have been thinking about you!! Congrats on Ruth--she looks beautiful and I love the name:). Hope you are feeling well and that Owen and Ava are good little helpers as you heal. I almost didn't recognize Ava in the last few photos--she looks so grown up! What a busy and exciting time it has been for your family. Good job to Ryan for finishing up and good luck in Spokane--they are soo lucky to have you there. Miss you!

theSwensenFamily said...

Congratulations! I can't believe all that you accomplished and a move at the end of a pregnancy? You should really be proud of yourself. Your family is so beautiful! I can't believe what BIG babies you have! Ruth looks so sweet! How fun! Welcome to the Northwest! I am so excited you're out this way! We have to meet up! Great post! Congrats to Ryan! What a big year for you! We had one of those and I'm glad it's over!

Preston and Lisa said...

Congratulations you guys! Ruth is so beautiful! We really wish we could have met her! It is so wierd not having you guys right down the street. We miss you! Hope everything is going great in Spokane!

Stephanie T said...

Congratulations on your new baby! I am so excited for you guys. It sounds like you had quite the adventure this summer.

I have been thinking about you alot the past two weeks and wondering if you had you baby yet. I need to get your new address and number.

Love you!

Nicole and Abe said...

congrats! I heard from Laura that you had your baby. I'm glad that everything went well. I want to see pictures of your new house. Miss you!

Jessica Reeves said...

Congrats!!! What a crazy month for you guys! I can't believe it!! I hope you guys are doing well and getting all settled!

Ben and Michelle said...

Congratulations!!!! She is so precious.

Kellie said...

Karen!!! Oh my I can't believe you did all that! You are so amazing, it must have really felt like a marathon AND then to be pregnant too! She looks beautiful and what a cute name. I hope you love Washington!