Sunday, August 17, 2008

He's Home!


After 5 1/2 weeks of being without our #1 man, he finally returned. We picked Captain Christopher Ryan Wallis up at the Salt Lake City airport at 10:00 p.m. It should have been 7:00, but of course his plane was delayed. So, there he was in his Air Force blues looking so handsome and official. This is the first time I've seen him in uniform. Of course my first thought was how happy I was to see him. My second though was, "Wow. We're not just pretending anymore. We're really doing the Air Force thing." You'd think I would have come to the realization before now, but after a month of him away at officer training and standing there in his uniform I realized this is our life now.

However, there was no time for a long of a reunion because we immediately had to hit the road for Ohio. We had to get back so Ryan could start his residency that Monday. So, that meant we drove all night Friday night, all day Saturday. Stayed at a hotel in Des Moine, Iowa and drove another 11 hours Sunday. The kids did surprisingly well. Owen is content with movies and Ava luckily was still taking a morning and afternoon nap, so if we timed stops and meals right, we managed. Certainly glad that is behind us though. Now we wait to see what comes of our year in Dayton, OH at Wright Patt Air Force Base.

Pictures soon to come!

10 comments:

Aubrey Messick said...

"I'm so glad when Daddy comes home, glad as I can be..."

Thats the first song that came to mind when I read you post. So glad you have your main man back with you. The drive sounds like a bummer, but glad its behind you. Hope you're all having fun catching up on family time now!

Laura said...

welcome back to ohio! glad the drive wasn't too terrible. I haven't had to do it, but it doesn't sound fun. Looking forward to pics of Ryan in his uniform!

Lori said...

Glad you guys made it! How is Ryan liking the residency so far? Rich is loving his, hope that continues. How is Dayton and the AF base? We'll have to catch up soon! Miss you guys!

Stephanie T said...

Yeah, you guys are settled for at least a year! Very cute pic of your family on the top.

Jessica Reeves said...

I'm so glad he's home! Too bad the drive wasn't too fun!

Stephanie Johnson said...

Karen so glad you and Ryan are back together- how is it being back in Ohio- do you go to Columbus at all? We miss you

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

Karen,

I just found your blog! It's good to see how you guys are doing! We'll have to meet up in Dayton some time.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

So glad Ryan is home and you are safely back to Ohio. Hope things are settling well in Dayton!

Ben and Michelle said...

I am glad to hear that you guys traveled safely back to Ohio. Miss you!

Michelle

theSwensenFamily said...

Hi Karen! How is Dayton? Is it good to be back in Ohio? I miss it! I'm sure you are so happy to have Ryan back home. I don't know how you did it! I am glad you are all together again! Hopefully, you were able to catch up with that LONG car ride back to Ohio! Crazy! Glad you survived! Your family picture is beautiful!