Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day





Well, tonight was definetely a chance for Owen to practice his own independance when all teachings of never to play with fire went out the window. This is the first time Owen has been able to semi-understand the 4th of July. After debating all day whether I should keep him up until 10:30 to see the city fireworks in the sky (he usually goes to bed and 7:30), I decided simple sparklers would do the job and we wouldn't have to suffer the wrath of a overtired Owen tomorrow when he is behind on his sleep. So, with Ryan gone we are visiting Nana and Grandpa for the month. We lit some sparklers in the back yard. Sadly, it was still light out. But, the kids (Owen and cousins) had a ball.

On a more serious note, I have to say this holiday has always been special to me. I really appreciate being born in a country where I can choose my own religion, and other freedoms. I feel I've been so blessed in my life. With Ryan in the Air Force now and living on base, we've met a lot of families with deployed husbands. I've gained a whole new appreciation for what they go through. Of course, just having our own #1 man in our lives gone for the month has also helped with that appreciation even though it doesn't compare to anything others have gone through. Happy 4th to everyone. God bless America!

7 comments:

Faith W said...

Oh so cute! You were smart to do it earlier, we waited until 10, let them do sparklers and watch fireworks and Henry burned his finger pretty bad, poor thing!

And I totally agree with you, July 4th always invokes a real reverence for how blessed we are to live in this nation and gratitude for those who choose to stand for the values we believe in.

Stephanie Johnson said...

So glad you have a blog Karen!!! I love the video of Ava because you can hear cute owen in the back ground bossing her around- so cute. Well good luck for the next couple weeks you are a tough lady.

Saun and Wes said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks for the email. I am way excited to look at your blog to see what you guys are up to. Thanks for finally caving in. I think I already gave you ours, but if not, you can click on my name and get it. Your kids are so cute. Ava is getting so big and is such a doll!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

I loved sparklers growing up! Very smart to do them earlier so that bedtime is not a hassle--what difference do they know anyways? Have fun with family while Ryan is gone.

Ben and Michelle said...

I am so glad you started a blog. I am so excited to be able to keep in touch with you. love Michelle

Laura said...

so glad i found your blog...and that you started one!! hang in there with ryan gone. that can't be easy!

Ben and Michelle said...

I love the pictures. Owen is one funny boy. Miss you guys.